POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How does POV handle IORs? : How does POV handle IORs? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:28:16 EDT (-0400)
  How does POV handle IORs?
From: Lutz-Peter Hooge
Date: 29 Jan 2002 17:25:13
Message: <MPG.16c13f9478298a549896d4@news.povray.org>
Hi,

When a ray first enters an object of, say ior 1.5, and then one with ior
1.3 (without leaving the first object), is that IOR than regarded
relative to the containing object, or absolute?
And, when the ray than leaves the second object, does it "remember" that
the outside has ior 1.5?

The reason I ask is, I made a glass with a liqid inside.
The common way to do this, is to scale the "liquid" by, .999.
But this causes the render to become very slow, because of reflections
between the liqid and the glass, because there are now two surfaces where
in reality there should be only one. So I had the idea to clip the glass
by a slightly bigger inverted copy of the liqid.

This is much faster, but I'm not sure if it gives correct results?

Lutz-Peter